Incorporated in December 1908, the Ocilla Southern built a line from Ocilla to Alapaha in 1910, leased (from the Fitzgerald, Ocilla & Broxton) a line between Fitzgerald and Ocilla in 1911, extended its rails from Alapaha to Nashville in 1912-13, and built an extension from Fitzgerald to Rochelle in 1914.
In 1917 the Ocilla Southern continued its expansion to the north
by building an extension from Rochelle to Pope City and by leasing (from the Hawkinsville & Florida Southern) the line between Pope City and Hawkinsville. It also leased the Hawkinsville & Western Railroad, a 23-mile line between Hawkinsville
According to Poors 1923 Manual, the Ocilla Southern was attempting
to build a line from Atlanta to Jacksonville. At its peak mileage,
however, it only covered about one third of that distance.
In June 1918 the company entered receivership, a status it was to maintain for several years. In 1923 the line from Pope City to Fitzgerald was abandoned. The section from Fitzgerald to Nashville was abandoned the following year.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1910 map (33K)
1915 map (80K)
1917 equipment list (154K)
1918 timetable (90K)
1920 map (96K)
1920 Poors Manual report (202K)