Hawkinsville & Florida Southern Railway
The H&FS was chartered in 1889. Over the next 12 years the company built a 43-mile line running south from Hawkinsville to the new Georgia Southern and Florida Railroad at Worth, a point three miles north of Ashburn. A 15-mile branch line from Davisville to Fitzgerald was also constructed.
The railroad was leased to Gulf Line Railway (Ashburn-to-Bridgeboro) in 1907. In 1909, the H&FS and the Gulf Line Railway merged, although both companies kept their own names. After a reorganization in 1913, the H&FS emerged as the operator of a line from Hawkinsville to Camilla, having absorbed the Gulf Line Railway (which had extended the line to Camilla).
In 1917 the H&FS reported owning 93 miles of line consisting of 43 miles from Hawkinsville to Worth and 50 miles from Ashburn to Camilla. Trackage rights consisted of 3 miles from Worth to Ashburn on the Georgia Southern & Florida. The GS&F controlled the HF&S through stock ownership. (The GS&F in turn was controlled by Southern Railway.)
In 1922 the H&FS entered receivership and was ordered to be sold. The southern end of the line from Camilla to Ashburn was purchased by the new Georgia, Ashburn, Sylvester, and Camilla Railway, but because no buyers had been found for the tracks between Hawkinsville and Worth, these were abandoned in 1923. The branch line to Fitzgerald h ad been abandoned some time earlier.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1895 timetable (68K)
1895 map (29K)
1897 map and timetable (94K)
1898 map (44K)
1904 map (52K)
1906 timetable (45K)
1910 map (36K)
1917 equipment list (185K)
1918 timetable (107K)
1918 map of H&FS and GS&F (335K)
For more info see Georgia Southern & Florida Historical Society
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey