Hawkinsville & Western Railroad

Grovania, Georgia

Grovania, Georgia, was a community on the Hawkinsville & Western.

The 23-mile rail line from Hawkinsville to Perry was built by the Hawkinsville & Western in 1911-13. (Some of the grade had been constructed in the mid-1890s by the Oconee & Western.) The H&W had been organized in 1909 by T. B. Ragan and other Hawkinsville businessmen to improve the town's rail connections to the west. Ragan also served as vice president of the Gulf Line Railway which ran south from Hawkinsville.

Controlled by the Ocilla Southern Railroad for a time, the H&W was abandoned in 1920 and sold for salvage.

1920 map (80K)

Hawkinsville & Western Railroad

* Indicates non-agency station. (From: Report of the the Railroad Commission of Georgia, Atlanta, 1915, p. 169. Online at HathiTrust Digital Library here.)

1919 ad for receivers sale of the Hawkinsville and Western Railroad

From: Manufacturers Record, Sept. 18, 1919.

spacer


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home