Chattanooga Southern Railway
Chartered in April of 1890 and completed in 1891, the 93-mile Chattanooga Southern was built to haul coal, iron, and timber out of the Lookout Mountain region between Chattanooga and Gadsden. About one-half of its route was within Georgia, including several miles along the base of the scenic plateau which gave the railroad its nickname, Pigeon Mountain Route.
At the northern edge of Pigeon Mountain, near the mining community of Estelle, the line passed through a tunnel, somewhat of a rarity in Georgia.
In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the Chattanooga Southern reported operating 96 miles of railroad with 5 locomotives, 6 passenger cars, and 128 freight and miscellaneous cars.
In 1896 the railroad entered receivership and was reorganized as the Chattanooga Southern Railroad. After another reorganization in 1911, the line emerged as the Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia Railway.
1892 map (92K)
1894 timetable (28K)
1895 timetable (47K)
1906 timetable (55K)
1908 map (71K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.