|In the early 1890s LaGrange had a short-lived streetcar system connecting the city square, the railroad depot, and the city's two colleges. Operated by the LaGrange Street Railway Company, which had been incorporated in late 1887, the system relied on horsecars rather than the new electric streetcar technology then being introduced in such Georgia cities as Atlanta, Athens, and Americus.
From the city square the horsecars traveled in three directions: west on Broad Street to LaGrange Female College (now LaGrange College); north on Church Street to Southern Female College (a long-defunct boarding school located between Battle and Smith streets, three blocks from the square); and south on Main Street to the Atlanta & West Point Railroad depot.
The operation ended in 1894. A quarter-century later, in 1919, a franchise for an electric street railway in LaGrange was granted to an investment group, but nothing came from the effort.
The photo above, taken from LaGrange Female College, shows a westbound horsecar on Broad Street at Springdale.