The Griffin Street Railroad Company, incorporated in 1889, opened May 1, 1891. It was reported to own three cars and six horses traveling on a 3-mile main line with 35-pound rail. The company's president was Griffin banker J.G. Rhea and its offices were in the City National Bank Building.
In 1893, the company was described as a 3-mile, mule-powered line with five cars. It was said to be paying expenses but not dividends.
The 1894 Street Railway Journal reported that the Griffin Street Railway Company was a standard-gauge line with five cars, built by Brill and Laclede, and thirteen mules.
An earlier edition of the Journal indicated that the company planned to convert from animal to electrical power and to extend its tracks to the Experiment Station and to Camp Northen.
Reports on the company seem to stop after 1894, so perhaps it was a victim of the economic troubles of the mid-1890s.
Years later, in 1910, the Griffin Daily News reported on plans for a new street railway company: "Judge J.D.Boyd and Hon. Frank Flynt went to Atlanta and received from the Secretary of State a charter for the Griffin City and Suburban Railway Company." Also, the April 6, 1910 issue of the Municipal Journal and Engineer reported that the "Griffin City & Suburban will extend line about one mile to State Agricultural Station." Finally, the May 19, 1910 issue of The Iron Trade Review reported that "The Griffin City & Suburban Railway Co., Griffin, Ga., is planning to begin construction work in July on 4 miles of street railway in Griffin and suburbs."
A check of several street railway directories published after 1910 failed to find the Griffin City & Suburban or any other Griffin street railway.