In 1906, two logging trams, one running south from Blakely and the other extending north from Jakin, were joined to create a through-route between those two places. The southern line fed the Flowers Lumber Company sawmill at Jakin while the northern line did the same for the Flowers Brothers Lumber sawmill at Blakely. Both sawmills as well as the tram road were under the same ownership.
In 1911, the Blakely Southern was incorporated under Georgia law to purchase the tram road and convert it to a common carrier line. W. C. Snodgrass, the new railroad's president, spent some $15,000 to $20,000 to straighten and improve the line. He also acquired a locomotive, a passenger car, a baggage/freight car, and a small motor car. Scheduled service on the 22-mile route began March 1, 1912 with a daily round trip between Blakely and Jakin.
The Blakely Southern connected with the Central of Georgia at Blakely and with the Atlantic Coast Line at Jakin. Its freight traffic consisted primarily of logs and lumber.
After entering receivership, its charter was annulled on September 21, 1914, and the line was abandoned the same year.