Waycross & Florida Railroad

The Waycross & Florida was incorporated in Georgia in 1879 to build a line from Waycross to the St. Marys River near Folkston. At the same time the new East Florida Railway was established in Florida to connect the W&F with Jacksonville, creating a 70-mile railroad marketed as the Waycross Short Line. Construction began in the summer of 1880, and the road was finished in April of the following year. The two railroads were controlled by Henry B. Plant’s Savannah, Florida and Western Railway.

In 1884, the Waycross and Florida and several other railroads were consolidated into the SF&W.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home