In 1893-96, the Brooks Brothers lumber and turpentine company built a rail line along Trail Ridge, on the eastern edge of the Okefenokee Swamp, naming it the St. Marys, Lake City & Gulf Railroad.
The northern terminus of the SMLC&G was at Boulogne, Florida, on the Jacksonville branch of the Savannah, Florida, & Western. From there the railroad
ran west across the St. Marys to Traders Hill and then south to
Toledo and Charlton.
The line was abandoned around 1900.