The 3-mile line from Conyers to the Milstead Manufacturing Company textile mill on the Yellow River was built by the company in 1902. In 1909 the Milstead Railroad Company was established to operate the line. Although Callaway Mills later took over the mill, the community continued to be called Milstead. The railroad discontinued operations in 1960, around the time that the mill closed.
The Milstead Railroad had as many as six locomotives: three 0-6-0s, two Shays, and one ten-wheeler. One of the 0-6-0 steamers, locomotive no. 104 built in 1905 by Rogers, is on display near the Conyers depot.
1920 map (177K)