The FR&NE, converted from a logging line in 1904, ran 24 miles northeast from Pelham to the Georgia Northern Railway at Ticknor in southwestern Georgia. (Ticknor was about a mile northwest of Doerun.) It was built in part to serve businesses owned or associated with Judson L. Hand of Pelham, whose enterprises included the Hand Trading Company, the Farmers Bank, the Pelham Manufacturing Company, as well as oil, fertilizer, lumber, naval stores, and cotton operations. Although Pelham had rail service by way of the Atlantic Coast Line, Hand wanted an alternative that would keep shipping rates competitive.
The railroad was later acquired by the Georgia Northern Railway, but it kept its separate identity.
The line was abandoned in 1946.