Operated by the Flint River Lumber Company, the Bainbridge Northern was also a common carrier for a few years. The first section of track, from Bainbridge to Eldorendo, opened sometime between 1896 and 1899. An early extension to Paulina gave the line a total length of 32 miles.
Passenger service was discontinued in 1908. All operations on the line came to an end in 1925.
The railroad's nickname was The Lumber Line.