Amicalola Railroad

Amicalola Railroad

The Amicalola Railroad was a 9-mile standard-gauge mining line that ran north from the Atlanta, Knoxville & Northern at Ballground to the Atlanta Marble Company's Amicalola marble quarries south of Marble Hill. Built around 1897 when the quarries opened, the railroad carried the stone to the mill and finishing works at Ballground. A 60-ton Richmond locomotive and three 20-ton cars traveled the route, which was cut through rough and hilly terrain.

Among the monumental buildings constructed with white Amicalola marble is the Minnesota state capitol, begun in 1896 and opened in 1905.

Amicalola quarry

Locomotive at one of the Amicalola quarries at Marble Hill. The flat car belonged to the Atlanta, Knoxville & Northern.

Map, north section.

Suggested Reading:

S. W. McCallie. A Preliminary Report on the Marbles of Georgia. 2nd edition. Bulletin No. 1. Atlanta: Geological Survey of Georgia, 1907. Online at Google Books.

Thomas Fetters. Logging Railroads of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. Vol. 2. Tallulah Falls, Anna Ruby Falls, and Jeffrey's Hell. Hillsboro, OR: Timber Times, 2010. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home