|Marietta's 1898 passenger depot was built by the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway. A freight depot once stood across the tracks, but it was demolished after being severely damaged in a derailment. An earlier depot was burned by Federal forces in 1864.
Next door to the depot is the old Kennesaw House hotel.
|NC&StL leased the Western & Atlantic in 1890. The line is now operated by CSX; it is still owned by the State of Georgia.
An older photo of the depot.
(Photo by Jean Carnet).
|The depot now serves as Marietta's Welcome Center. Next door is the Marietta Museum of History in the historic Kennesaw House where Andrews Raiders spent the night before borrowing the locomotive General at Big Shanty.
1905 Sanborn map showing passenger and freight depots (82K)
Old photograph of a trained bear in front of the freight depot.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey
Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home