The 16-mile line from Thomaston to Barnesville was built by the Thomaston & Barnesville Railroad. Although the company had been chartered in 1839, the line did not open until 1856. It was reorganized as the Upson County Railroad in 1860.
Destroyed during the Civil War, the line was rebuilt in 1870.
From the early 1870s it was controlled by the Central of Georgia, which eventually acquired all of its stock.
Maps and Timetables:
1863 timetable (92K)
1883 map (30K)
David E. Paterson, A Frontier Link with the World; Upson County's Railroad. Macon: Mercer University Press, 1998.