Organized in 1924 as the successor to the Atlantic, Waycross & Northern Railroad, this 11-mile short line runs from the coastal town of St. Marys to Kingsland. A 3-mile branch also connects the line to Kings Bay submarine base.
In 1940, the railroad was purchased by Gilman Paper Company to service the new Kraft paper mill it was constructing at St. Marys. Gilman Paper was sold in 1999 to Mexico-based Grupo Industrial Durango, which closed the St. Marys mill in 2002.
In 2007 the line was sold to Boatwright Companies.
Reporting mark: SM.
2000 map (36K)