Stillmore Air Line Railway
Chartered in November 1892, George M. Brinson's Stillmore Air Line opened its first section of tracks from Stillmore to Collins in July 1893. A northern extension to Swainsboro opened in 1896, and by 1901 the rails had been extended north from Swainsboro to Wadley.
Brinson had earlier been involved with a proposed Brunswick, Athens, and Northwestern railroad to run from Brunswick to Knoxville via Jesup, Reidsville, Swainsboro, Sandersville, Tennille, Sparta, Greensboro, Athens, Cornelia, Tallulah Falls, and Rabun Gap. It was one of many proposals over the decades for a rail line to Knoxville by way of that gap.
Note: At the time, "Air Line" referred to a direct route, or at least a route more direct than that of any competitor.
1895 map (72K)
1898 Cram map (61K)
1898 Rand McNally map (171K)
1903 map (196K)
1908 Hammond map (246K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey