Squaw Creek Southern
Railroad

Photo: zx81basic. Some rights reserved.

As a unit of Respondek Railroad Corporation, then of Boonville, Indiana, Squaw Creek Southern operated freight rail service between Madison and Machen, the latter a community on the south side of Shady Dale in eastern Jasper County. The 17-mile line was leased from Norfolk Southern in 2008.

Built as the Covington & Macon Railroad in 1886-89 and reorganized as the Macon & Northern Railroad in 1891, the line was sold to the Central of Georgia in 1895.

In 2009, Squaw Creek leased from Norfolk Southern the 12.5 miles of line between Machen and Newborn that was operated by Great Walton Railroad until that year. This link was built by the Middle Georgia & Atlantic Railway in 1890-94 as part of its line from Milledgeville to Covington.

Since 2014, the two lines have been operated by CaterParrott Railnet.

 

2010 map (52K)

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home