The South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company was chartered in South Carolina in 1828 for the purpose of expanding trade between Charleston and the west. The company’s 136-mile railroad from Charleston to Hamburg, South Carolina, across the Savannah River from Augusta, opened in 1833.
In 1843, the company merged with the Louisville, Cincinnati, and Charleston Railroad Company to become the South Carolina Railroad Company. In 1881, it was reorganized as the South Carolina Railway Company. After entering receivership in 1889, it was reorganized once again five years later as the South Carolina and Georgia Railroad Company.
From 1897 to 1901, the SC&G leased the Augusta Southern, which ran from Augusta to Tennille.
Southern Railway gained control of the SC&G in 1899 and obtained a lease to it in 1902. The lease is still in effect.
The nickname of the SC&G was The Charleston Line.
Maps and Timetables:
1895 map (367K)
1895 timetable (207K)
1897 map (60K)
Thomas Fetters. The Charleston & Hamburg; A South Carolina Railroad and an American Legacy. Charleston, SC: The History Press, 1988.