The 38-mile Shearwood Railway was incorporated in January, 1912. Its builders planned to connect Claxton and Hagan, on the Seaboard Air Line Railway in Evans County, with another Seaboard line at Clyo, about 30 miles north of Savannah.
The first section of track was opened between 1910 and 1912 from Brooklet to Harville. It was extended south to Nevils in 1915. A northern extension to Leeland (now Leefield) was completed in 1917. The southern terminus at Hagan and the northern terminus at Egypt were reached in 1918. The Egypt-Clyo link was left unbuilt.
In 1922, the railroad had three locomotives, four passenger cars, a boxcar, and a flatcar. General offices were in Brooklet. The railroad’s president was J.N. Shearouse.
The line was gradually abandoned between 1935 and 1938.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1915 map (23K)
1918 map, Claxton/Hagan - Overbrook (642K)
1918-19 map, Overbrook - Denmark (265K)
1919 map, Denmark - Brooklet (316K)
1919 map, Brooklet - Leeland (163K)
1918-19 map, Leeland - Egypt (427K)
1921 mileage table (27K)
1926 map (61K)
1928 timetable (55K)
1929 timetable (120K)
1931 map (65K)