Chartered in 1854, the SG&NA opened from Griffin to Newnan in 1870 and to Carrollton in 1872. Many miles of the line were graded by convicts leased by the state to railroad contractor Grant, Alexander & Company.
Poors 1881 Manual indicated that the SG&NA was operated in connection with the Central of Georgia. The railroad's president was William M. Wadley and the vice-president was W.G. Raoul, both of Savannah. The general offices were also in Savannah.
In November, 1890 the SG&NA was sold under foreclosure and purchased by the Savannah & Western Railroad.
1883 map (205K)
1886 map (57K)