Savannah & Statesboro Railway
The 32-mile line from Statesboro to Cuyler, a point on the Savannah & Western Railroad (later Seaboard Air Line Railway) in the northern corner of Bryan County, was begun in 1894 by the Cuyler and Woodburn Railroad. The Savannah and Statesboro Railway bought the railroad in 1897 after the C&W entered receivership.
By 1897 the line was complete between Cuyler and Wellwood. The last section, from Woodburn to Statesboro, was completed in 1899.
From 1911 until 1916, the Savannah and Statesboro operated the Savannah, Augusta, and Northern Railway, a line running northwest from Statesboro to the Georgia and Florida Railway at Stevens Crossing in Emanuel County. In 1916 the SA&N was taken over by George M. Brinsons Midland Railway.
The Cuyler-Statesboro line was abandoned in 1933.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1904 map (20K)
1906 timetable (43K)
1915 map (57K)
1917 equipment list (103K)
1918 timetable (59K)
1919 map, Statesboro - Brooklet (414K)
1919 map, Brooklet - Stilson (263K)
1918-19 map, Stilson - Olney (298K)
1929 timetable (191K)
These road signs at the Bulloch County communities of Arcola and Olney are reminders that the Savannah & Statesboro once passed through. (Photos by Jamey Smith.)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey