Savannah & Memphis Railroad
A 55-mile line between Opelika and Goodwater, Alabama, the S&M began in 1854 as the Opelika and Talladega Railroad. After failing to construct any track, the O&T was reorganized in 1861 as the Opelika and Tuscumbia Railroad, just as the Civil War began.
In 1866, after the conflict ended, the O&T was reorganized again, this time under the name Savannah and Memphis Railroad. Track construction finally began in earnest, but by 1874 the company had only reached Goodwater.
In 1880, the S&M was sold at foreclosure to the Columbus & Western Railway.
1872 map (296K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey