Savannah, Augusta & Northern Railway

A scene on Railroad Street in Portal, Ga. The SA&N came through here around 1909. Most of the line was abandoned in the early 1950s.

The 39-mile railroad from Statesboro to Stevens Crossing near Midville was constructed by the Savannah, Augusta & Northern Railway Company, which planned to extend the line as far north as Chattanooga. The section from Statesboro to Garfield was the first to be completed, in 1908. Grading was complete from Garfield to Louisville in 1909 when the company entered receivership.

The railroad was sold in 1910, around the time that the final section of tracks was laid from Garfield to Stevens Crossing.

Another local railroad, the Savannah & Statesboro Railway, began operating the line in 1911. In 1916, the SA&N was taken over by George M. Brinson’s Midland Railway.

Maps:

1910 map (32K)

1913 map (280K)

1916 map (170K)

spacer

Savannah, Augusta & Northern Railway mileage table

* Indicates non-agency station. (From: Report of the the Railroad Commission of Georgia, Atlanta, 1910, p. 18. Online at HathiTrust Digital Library here.)

spacer

Article on 1909 receivership

New York Times, June 12, 1909.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home