Savannah & Atlantic Railroad

The old 18-mile excursion railroad between Savannah and Tybee Island was built in 1887 as the Savannah & Tybee Railroad. After being sold in late 1889, it was renamed in early 1890 as the Savannah, Tybee & Atlantic Railway. In July, 1890, the Central of Georgia acquired all of its stock, renamed it the Savannah & Atlantic, and operated it until it was abandoned in 1932.

1897 map (132K)

A six-mile section of the railroad's old route across the marshes is now the McQueens Island bike trail.

The Hotel Tybee, built in 1891 at a cost of $80,000. (From: Fruits of Industry. Central Railroad of Georgia, 1895. Online at Internet Archive here.)

Tybee Island railroad depot

The ticket office at historic Fort Jackson was once a Tybee rail line depot. It was originally located in Savannah at Randolph and President streets.

 

 

Savannah & Atlantic Railroad, 1915 mileage table

* Indicates non-agency station. When this table was published, the rail line was operated by the Central of Georgia. (From: Report of the the Railroad Commission of Georgia, Atlanta, 1915, p. 164. Online at HathiTrust Digital Library here.)

Suggested Reading:

Robert A. Ciucevich. Tybee Island: The Long Branch of the South. Arcadia Publishing, 2005.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home