Savannah Valley Railroad

The Savannah Valley was a 37-mile rail line from Egypt, then on the Central of Georgia main line in Effingham County, north through Sylvania to Hiltonia and Millhaven. It was constructed sometime before 1908.

In 1909-10, the line was sold to the Brinson Railway.

Mileage table from Thirty-Sixth Annual Report of the the Railroad Commission of Georgia, 1908.

A different Savannah Valley Railroad was constructed in South Carolina, between Anderson and McCormick, in the mid-1880s. After a short independent existence, it was merged into the Port Royal & Western Carolina Railroad in 1886. Controlled by the Central of Georgia, the PR&WC was reorganized in 1896 as the Charleston & Western Carolina Railway after South Carolina forced the Central out of the state.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home