Sandersville & Tennille Railroad
The S&T was chartered in 1875 with the authority to build a rail line from Sandersville to the Central of Georgia at Tennille. The 3.3-mile road opened in October of 1876.
Its first locomotive may have been similar to the one shown above, a Porter tank engine designed for light work on short runs. According to an 1877 report, an S&T locomotive of this type hauled two baggage/passenger cars at a usual speed of
In 1889 the S&T reported owning 1 locomotive and 2 cars.
In 1894-95, a competing line, the Sandersville Railroad, was constructed between Tennille and Sandersville.
The S&T was leased to the Augusta Southern Railroad in 1893 and bought by Augusta Southern in 1894.
* Light Locomotives. H.K. Porter Company, Pittsburgh, PA, Sixth edition, 1889. Online at Google Books.
1897 map (127K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey