Seaboard Air-Line Belt Railway
The eight-mile Seaboard Air-Line Belt Railway was constructed across the north side of Atlanta in 1892. It branched off the Georgia, Carolina & Northern Railway at Belt Junction (near Emory University) and ran west to a connection with the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway at Howells.
At the time, the GC&N had just been completed from North Carolina to a connection with the Georgia Railroad at Inman Park on the east side of Atlanta. An injunction, however, stopped the new line from entering the city of Atlanta from the east, which forced the GC&N to construct the Seaboard Air-Line Belt Railway as an alternative. By use of trackage rights over the NC&StL, GC&N trains were able to enter downtown Atlanta.
In 1901, the GC&N was merged into Seaboard Air Line Railway.
For maps, see Atlanta BeltLine (and Belt Lines).
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey