Seaboard Air Line Railroad
Richland - Dawson, 1953-55 map

The Richland-Dawson line was built in 1886-90 as the Columbus Southern Railway, an 88-mile railroad from Columbus to Albany. At Richland it crossed the Savannah, Americus & Montgomery. In 1895-96, both of these were included in the new Georgia & Alabama Railway, which became a part of the Seaboard in 1900.

The railroad running southwest from Kimbrough was the Georgia, Florida & Alabama. Seaboard leased it in 1927. The dismantled railroad between Kimbrough and Richland was an earlier Seaboard alignment; it was abandoned when Seaboard decided to use the parallel GF&A tracks.

From: Dothan and Phenix City quadrangles, 1:250,000-scale topographic maps. U. S. Geological Survey, 1953 (Dothan) and 1955 (Phenix City). Online at Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home