Rome & Carrollton Railroad
The Rome & Carrollton was chartered in 1881 to build a rail line between those two northwest Georgia towns, but it was not until 1884 that track construction began.
In the 1889 edition of The Official Railway List, the line was listed as operating 42 miles with 94 miles under construction. A note indicated that the 22 miles of narrow gauge would be changed to standard. It reported 5 locomotives, 2 passenger cars, and 4 freight and miscellaneous cars.
About 20 miles of narrow-gauge track between Rome and Cedartown had been constructed when, in 1888, it was renamed, becoming the Chattanooga, Rome & Columbus Railroad.
1887 map (71K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey