Rome Railroad

The Rome Railroad Company, chartered in 1839 as the Memphis Branch Railroad & Steamboat Company, built its 18-mile line from Rome to Kingston in 1848-49. The company changed its name to the Rome Railroad Company in 1850.

One of the line’s early investors was the Georgia Railroad & Banking Company, which had constructed the Georgia Railroad between Augusta, Athens, and Atlanta in the 1830s and early 1840s.

In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the Rome Railroad reported operating 20 miles of railroad with 1 locomotive and 2 passenger cars.

In 1894 the railroad was sold to the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway, with which it connected at Kingston.

It was abandoned in 1943.

Maps and Timetables:

1863 timetable (60K)

1883 map (30K)

1888 timetable (75K)

1918 timetable, NC&StL (396K)

1940s map (159K)

1855 listing from Mitchell's new traveller's guide through the United States and the Canadas.... Online at Internet Archive here.

From: Official Guide of the Railways, 1870.

From: Official Guide of the Railways, 1896.

Kingston, Georgia, eastern terminus of the Rome Railroad

Kingston during the Civil War.
(From: The Soldier in our Civil War; a pictorial history of the conflict, 1861-1865, illustrating the valor of the soldier as displayed on the battle-field, from sketches drawn by Forbes, Waud, Taylor, Beard, Becker, Lovie, Schell, Crane and numerous other eye-witnesses to the strife. Vol. 2. New York: Stanley Bradley Publishing Co., 1893, p. 227. Online at Internet Archive here.)

 

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home