Rogers & Summit Railroad

Chartered May 23, 1889, the Rogers & Summit Railroad constructed a rail line from Rogers, on the Central of Georgia west of Millen, to Summit, an Emanuel County town now known as Twin City. According to a listing of private railroads in Poors Directory of Railway Officials of 1890, the Rogers & Summit had 4 locomotives, 2 passenger cars, and 17 freight cars. Its steel rails weighed 40 pounds per yard and were laid at standard gauge.

In 1890, well before work was complete, the railroad was purchased by J. W. Preston and reorganized as the Millen & Southern Railway.

1890 map (78K)

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home