Central of Georgia No. 509, a 2-8-0 built by Baldwin in 1906, has been a feature of Macon's Central City Park since 1956. A plaque at the site honors Benny A. Scott, a community leader and the railroad's first black fireman, who worked the engine’s last run.
Although the Central's headquarters and early shops complex was in Savannah, the true center of the company's 20th-century maintenance operations was on the south side of downtown Macon. Here were major locomotive and railcar repair shops along with railyards that saw freight coming from all directions. These facilities, which stood in the area bounded roughly by 5th Street, 7th Street, Bay Street, and Poplar Street, are now gone. The most notable remaining structure is the coaling tower alongside 7th Street.