gray block for spacing purposes

Tallulah Falls Railway Bridge

Piers from old railroad bridge over Tallulah Falls Lake

The Tallulah Falls Railway crossed Tallulah Falls Lake on a 585-foot bridge built in 1913 as the lake was filling. The deck-style plate girder bridge replaced an earlier wooden truss structure. When the railroad was abandoned in the early 1960s, the steel spans were removed and recycled. The concrete piers were left standing because they had no salvage value and demolition would have been costly.

This old postcard view of U.S. 23 passing under the bridge is similar to the view above. (For reference, the concrete-arch highway bridge is partly visible on the right side of both images.) The road still exists much as shown, but it is now called Terrora Circle. A newer U.S. 23 is nearby to the east.

An aerial view shows the trestle at Tallulah Falls, which stood about 1000 yards south of the steel bridge. The railroad depot is barely visible in the upper left corner.
(From: Birds-Eye View of Tallulah Falls ...,Georgia Postcards, Boston Public Library on Flickr, Creative Commons License.)

Terrora powerhouse

At the upper end of the lake is the Terrora powerhouse, built in 1923-25.

 

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home