Streetcars in Washington
Washington's mule car Aileen stopped at the Fitzpatrick Hotel (above). The hotel still stands.
|The Washington Street Railway Company, incorporated in 1887, provided a connection between the Georgia Railroad depot at W. Liberty and Depot streets and the Fitzpatrick and Johnson hotels in the center of town.
A 1908 report indicated that it was a mule-powered line running 5/8ths of a mile with two passenger cars and four freight cars. The company president was T. Burwell Green.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey
Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home