|For a little more than three decades, Stone Mountain was the eastern terminus of a 9.15-mile interurban line out of Atlanta. Opened on November 29, 1913, the electric railway was constructed by Georgia Railway & Power Company at a cost of just under $400,000.
Its route began at Sam's Crossing in Decatur, where it connected with the Atlanta streetcar system. Eastbound, it generally followed present-day East College Avenue, Avondale Road, North Clarendon Avenue, Church Street, and East Ponce de Leon Avenue. Most of the route north of Scottdale was beside the Georgia Railroad (now CSX), beginning on the south side and then passing under the railroad north of Hambrick Road. From there it remained on the railroad's north side into Stone Mountain.
Service ended in 1947, largely due to competition from buses and automobiles.
The Stone Mountain line was one of three interurbans in the Atlanta area. The other two were the Marietta line, officially the Atlanta Northern, and the Fairburn line between that town and College Park.
The PATH Foundation's Stone Mountain Trail for pedestrians and bikes now retraces the railway's route between Stone Mountain and Avondale Estates.