A 1907 U.S. Census publication listed the Milledgeville and Asylum Dummy Line Railroad among street and interurban railways that had replaced steam locomotives and dummies with electrical equipment since January 1, 1888. It did not indicate the nature of this equipment. An 1893 issue of the Street Railway Journal, however, listed the railway's two cars as motor cars.
The M&ADL entered receivership in 1891 and was sold "at public outcry" on May 30th, 1893. It was renamed the Old Capitol Railway Company by its purchasers on June 29, 1893.
A tragedy on the line occurred in late 1894, as reported in the New York Times on December 13, 1894:
Dropped from a Trestle.
MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga., Dec. 12. As the train on the Milledgeville and Asylum Road this morning was crossing the trestle over Fishing Creek, near this city, the structure gave way, precipitating the engine and coach into the stream, forty feet below. Fireman Ragsford has died from his injuries, and engineer Dickens is not expected to live.
The Old Capitol Railway entered bankruptcy and was purchased by the Milledgeville Railway, incorporated in February 1896 by the lessees of the Georgia Railroad.
In 1902, it was listed as a standard gauge dummy line with two locomotives and two cars, operating on a main line of 3 miles with 2.85 miles of branches. Rail was 30, 54, and 56 lbs. During the calendar year 1901 it had gross earnings of $5,771, operating expenses of $5,814, and a deficit of $43.
Milledgeville Railway battery car at the city's Georgia Railroad depot, which burned in 1995.
In 1922, the Milledgeville Railway was listed by Moody's as a standard gauge 5.48-mile road (with branches) extending from Milledgeville to Asylum, that was leased to Atlantic Coast Line and Louisville & Nashville (the lessees of the Georgia Railroad). Equipment was reported to consist of one car.
Although the line began as a street railway transporting passengers, at some point passenger service ended and the focus became hauling freight. The Georgia Railroad saw it as a link to the huge state hospital to which the railroad could profitably haul coal and freight, despite the nuisances of street running. Finally, in 1962, the City requested that the rails be removed from Wayne Street. The following year the last train rolled through the downtown streets.
1912 map of the Milledgeville Railway
Note: The photo above is from a June 13, 1914 article in Electric Railway Journal describing a storage battery car used by the Milledgeville Railway. The article indicates that the car is "for use over the track of the Central Railroad of Georgia between Milledgeville and a State sanatorium 3 1/2 miles distant." That would seem to indicate that it did not use the Milledgeville Railway tracks on Wayne Street.
To read the entire article, go to Google Books and enter "storage battery cars at milledgeville" in the search box.