Railroad Office Buildings
An interesting mix of railroad office buildings can be found around the state, in small towns and big cities.
At Tennille in middle Georgia stands a fine old building (above) that once housed the general offices of the Wrightsville & Tennille Railroad.
A large portion of the City Hall at Macon was originally erected in 1837 by the Monroe Railroad & Banking Company as its offices. The building became the city's municipal offices in 1860. Between November 18, 1864 and March 11, 1865 it served as the temporary state capitol. The last session of the state legislature under the Confederacy was held here.
Built in 1856, this impressive Greek Revival building in Savannah housed the administrative offices of the Central of Georgia Railroad. It is now Savannah College of Art and Design's Kiah Hall.
The Central of Georgia built this red brick building in Savannah in 1887. It was designed by Alfred S. Eichberg and Calvin Fay. Now known as Eichberg Hall, it houses Savannah College of Art and Design's architecture and interior design departments.
Next to Eichberg Hall is the old entrance gate to the Central of Georgia's railroad shops and offices. Farther down the sidewalk is the Central's Savannah passenger station, now Savannah's Welcome Center.
The 2-block-long Atlanta office of Southern Railway stands alongside the city's "railroad gulch." The structure once had a huge rooftop sign made up of letters spelling out "Southern Railway." The sign faced Terminal Station so that the multitudes entering and leaving there could see it easily.
Built in 1899, the Grand Opera House in Brunswick remains a downtown landmark; today it's better known as the city's historic Ritz Theatre. Also in the building were the general offices of the Brunswick & Birmingham Railroad, a predecessor of the Atlantic Coast Line. (Click here for a larger photo from a higher viewpoint.)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey