The 13-mile Conasauga River Trail and the 16-mile Jacks River Trail follow the bed of a standard-gauge logging railroad built by the Conasauga Lumber Company and its successors beginning in 1907. The railroad crossed the streams numerous times on timber bridges, all of which are long gone, requiring today's hiker to ford the chilly waters. The area is now a protected wilderness managed by the U.S. Forest Service. The trails are not paved and are suitable for foot traffic only.
Thomas Fetters, Logging Railroads of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains, Vol. 2, Tallulah Falls, Anna Ruby Falls, and Jeffrey's Hell. Hillsboro, OR: Timber Times, 2010.