gray block for spacing purposes

Humpback Bridges

Not railroad bridges, but rather auto bridges over railroads, humpback spans were built in an era when auto and truck traffic volumes were much lower than today. The bridge above and below, in downtown Jasper, crosses the Georgia Northeastern Railroad (formerly L&N) and leads to a lodging establishment known as the Woodbridge Inn.

Built in 1912, the bridge was recently restored after being considered for replacement.

Its cramped site between two parallel streets requires the bridge to cross the tracks at a sharp angle.

It may be the last remaining wood truss bridge in the state.

 

Old wooden bridge at Arnco Mills

The Main Street bridge at Arnco Mills near Newnan.

 

The Croft Street bridge at Carrollton (above) was rehabilitated in 2010 at a cost of $200,000, much lower than the $1 million estimated for a new concrete and steel structure. Croft Street was named for David William Croft, conductor of the first Central of Georgia train to enter town on the new railroad, in 1874. Croft is said to have purchased the property at the bridge for $65.

A new railed-in pedestrian walkway was added to the bridge as a safety feature. Included is an observation deck that allows a view down the tracks to the historic Carrollton depot.

The Van Wert Street bridge in Buchanan, about 18 miles north of Carrollton, crosses over the same former Central of Georgia line.

On the west side of Madison is the Oil Mill Road bridge, now closed to
motor vehicles.

The Oil Mill Road bridge passes over the former Central of Georgia line between Madison and Athens.

A wood-and-steel bridge at Lula crosses four tracks on Norfolk Southern's Atlanta-to-Charlotte line. RRPictureArchives.net has several better photos; here's one of them.

This concrete-and-steel bridge at Toccoa crosses the same line.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home