gray block for spacing purposes

spacer

Brushy Mountain Tunnel
Rockmart area

West entrance to Divide Tunnel

Built in 1904 by the Atlanta & Birmingham Air Line Railway, a subsidiary of the Seaboard Air Line Railway, the 730-foot Brushy Mountain Tunnel was abandoned in 1988 by Seaboard successor CSX. It now serves the Silver Comet Trail, a 60-mile rail-trail built on sections of the former railbed.

First called the Divide Tunnel for a place on the mountain above, the tunnel was orginally 18 feet 4 inches high and 13 feet wide. In 1971-73, Seaboard Coast Line Railroad enlarged the tunnel to 24 feet high and 18 feet wide to accommodate tri-level auto rack cars and high-level trailers in piggy-back service. At the time ten or more trains per day passed through the tunnel. The $1.5 million project required the drilling and blasting of 8,000 cubic yards of rock along with the installation of 340 tons of steel framework and 4,000 cubic yards of concrete in the tunnel's roof and walls. The contractor for the project was Cowin & Company, Inc. of Birmingham.

The tunnel is about six miles east of Rockmart.

 

 



RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home