Central of Georgia Railway

Former Central of Georgia office building

Former Central of Georgia offices on West Broad Street (now 227 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.) in downtown Savannah. This 1856 Greek Revival building with its impressive portico was originally the railroad's administrative offices. The architect was probably Augustus Schwaab. It currently serves as the Savannah College of Art and Design's Kiah Hall.  
Photo by Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS).

Next door is SCAD's Eichberg Hall, constructed in 1887 and designed by Alfred Eichberg and Calvin Fay. Also built for the Central of Georgia, it now houses architecture and interior design studios.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home