Central of Georgia Bridges,
Just before a train would enter Savannah's Central of Georgia Railroad station, it would cross this 1852 viaduct (above), one of a pair of historic bridges at the former Central railroad complex. Spanning both West Boundary Street and the Ogeechee Canal, each of the two structures features four brick arches and decorative details in brick that create both elegance and utility.
(Above and below) The 1852 structure as documented in the Historic American Engineering Record. Photo above has been cropped. To see full-size image and other HAER photographs of this bridge, see Library of Congress web page here.
The second bridge (below), built in 1858, has 48-foot spans as compared to the 30-foot spans on the 1852 bridge. It has segmental arches instead of the elliptical arches of the older bridge. This bridge carried trains to the Central's freight depot and warehouses on the north side of the passenger depot.
(Above and below) HAER photographs of the 1858 structure. Photo above has been cropped. To see full-size image and other HAER photographs of this bridge, see Library of Congress web page here.
(Above) Detail of pier and spandrel of the second bridge. The older bridge can be seen in the background.
(Above) An antique store was built under one of the arches in the 1960s. It was later converted to studio space (called "Old Arch Hall") by the ever-inventive Savannah College of Art and Design.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey
Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home