The Ocilla & Valdosta was chartered in 1903 to build a railroad from Macon to Valdosta. By 1906, the O&V had completed a line from Broxton to Ocilla and was constructing a line from Ocilla to Fitzgerald. It had acquired a Broxton-to-Hazlehurst line in a 1905 agreement with the Broxton, Hazlehurst & Savannah Railroad and had begun steps to absorb the Fitzgerald, Ocmulgee & Red Bluff Railway, but the company had gotten into a difficult financial situation.
In 1907 it sold the Broxton-Hazlehurst line to the Douglas, Augusta & Gulf Railway. In 1908 its remaining routes became the property of the newly formed Fitzgerald, Ocilla, & Broxton Railroad.
The Broxton-Ocilla line was abandoned in 1915-16. Most of the Ocilla-Fitzgerald line has also been abandoned.