North & South Railroad of Georgia

Organized in Rome in August 1871, the North & South was an early attempt to build a railroad along Georgia's western border from Columbus to LaGrange, Carrollton, and Rome. The company built about twenty miles of track before entering receivership in 1874. It was sold in 1878 and reorganized in 1879 as the Columbus & Rome Railroad.

Maps and Timetables:

1873 map 1 (36K)

1873 map 2 (101K)

1874 timetable (77K)

See also:

The North and South Railroad of Georgia and its Connections; August 11, 1871. Online at University of Southern Mississippi Library website here.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home