Chartered in December 1833, the Monroe Railroad was one of Georgia’s earliest rail lines. Built initially to link Macon with the nearby Monroe County town of Forsyth, it was soon extended northwest in an attempt to connect with the planned Western & Atlantic Railroad at Atlanta.
The first train between Macon and Forsyth ran in December 1838, and the road reached Griffin in 1842. Unfortunately, insufficient capital and an economic depression bankrupted the company. It was sold in 1845 to Daniel Tyler, who renamed it the Macon and Western Railroad.