The Monroe Railroad was a 10-mile line from Monroe, the county seat of
Walton County, to the Georgia Railroad at Social Circle. Built in 1880 as the Walton Railroad, it became the Monroe Railroad in 1904 after the breakup of the Gainesville, Jefferson & Southern Railroad.
Although controlled by the Georgia Railroad, the line operated
independently until it was absorbed into the parent organization
in 1917. Today it operates as a branch of the Great Walton Railroad.
Note: This Monroe Railroad has often been confused with the Monroe Railroad that was established in 1833 to connect Macon to Forsyth, the seat of Monroe County. See Monroe Railroad (1833) .