Mobile & Girard Railroad

(State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory)

Leased by the Central of Georgia in 1886, the Mobile & Girard was then an 85-mile line running from Columbus to Troy, Alabama. It was later extended to Andalusia.

The photograph above shows the railroad's bridge across the Chattahoochee River at Columbus. The steamboat J. W. Hires is in the foreground. Girard was located directly across the river from the Georgia city; it was annexed into Phenix City in 1923.

1900 photo showing steamboats Naiad, left, and Fannie Fearn, with the railroad bridge in the background. Columbus was the northern limit of steamboat navigation on the Chattahoochee. (State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory)

Mobile & Girard Railroad, 1854 advertisement

From: American railway guide and pocket companion, 1854. Online at HathiTrust Digital Library here.

spacer

1855 listing from Mitchell's new traveller's guide through the United States and the Canadas.... Online at Internet Archive here.

Maps:

1868 map (196K)

1886 map (199K)

Suggested Reading:

Wayne Cline: Alabama Railroads. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1997.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home