Milltown Air Line Railway
Engine No. 155 depicted in Lakeland mural.
Opened in 1904, the 10-mile Milltown Air Line Railway connected Milltown (now Lakeland) with the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad at Naylor. There was also at one time a 2.5 mile branch to the Alapaha River.
Around 1912 the line was sold and operated primarily as a logging road. The Official Railway Equipment Register of October, 1917, listed it as having one locomotive and no freight cars.
After a brief abandonment in 1928, it reopened as the Lakeland Railroad.
Maps and Other Information:
1904 map (41K)
1911 map (29K)
1917 map and equipment list (97K)
A plaque on the Lakeland mural tells a bit about the railroad's history.
Timetable from Official Guide of the Railways, 1906.
|(From: Savannah, Florida and Western Railway Company. [from old catalog]. Guide to Southern Georgia And Florida, Containing a Brief Description of Points of Interest to the Tourist, Invalid Or Emigrant, And How to Reach Them. 6th ed. Savannah, Ga.: Morning News Steam Print. House, 1879. Online at HathiTrust Digital Library here).
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey
Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home