Chartered in March 1890, the Millen and Southern built a 31-mile standard-gauge line from Millen to Stillmore by way of the village of Summit (now Twin City).
The road was successor to the Rogers and Summit Railroad, chartered April 23, 1889. Rogers, located on the Central of Georgia a few miles west of Millen, formed the north end of the line until 1891 when the M&S completed new trackage from Thrift, about 9.5 miles south of Rogers, to Millen. The entire railroad was completed in 1892.
The president of the M&S was Loring R. Millen of New York, and the vice-president was William B. Stillwell of Savannah. The principal office of the M&S was in Millen.
In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the Millen & Southern reported operating 32 miles of railroad with 5 locomotives, 4 passenger cars, and 32 freight and miscellaneous cars.
In 1897 the railroad entered receivership and emerged as the Millen and Southwestern Railroad.
1892 map (56K)
1894 timetable (63K)
1898 map (44K)
1900 map (58K)